Henry Stacy Marks (1829-98)
Oak, with gilt decoration
61.2 x 56 cm
English (London), 1885
Signed and dated
‘H.S.M / 1885’ (on the front of one of the panels (see right)
Victor de Rivaz, and by descent; Great Central Railway Co.
The panel with a signature has a typed inscription on the back reading: ‘The painting was part of the decorative panel on a book case which was a fixture in Northbrook House Number 4 Grove House St. Johns Wood London. The house and fixtures were purchased by the Central Railway Company for their station [?] in London from the widow of Victor de Riva who was a friend of, and for whom the painting was done by Mr. Stacey [sic] Marks R.A.’ (see right).
The MSLR became the Great Central Railway Company (GCR) in 1897, began its expansion in 1895 to Marylebone, its London terminus, in 1895.